A Masterpiece of Embroidered Appliqué
The Heather Feather motifs were born from a desire to see what could be accomplished using the new (at the time!) BERNINA Jumbo Hoop. Both filling an 8.5” square, the two motifs feature classic paisley shapes embellished with gorgeous threadwork. In the original Heather Feather quilt, color is used to create a stunning and vibrant masterpiece that is a visual feast for the eyes.
You’ve probably heard the expression, “It takes a village to raise a child.” Heather Feather is a great example of, “It takes a village to make a quilt,” with:
- Felicia and John helping to cut appliqué shapes (back when there were no fabric cutting dies or electronic cutting machines)
- Susie and Kathy offering use of their BERNINA 830 embroidery machines
- Judy D saving the day when the first attempt was not about to lay flat on the batting when creating the quilt sandwich (who knew borders could be so very wonky and fusible interfacing could make fabric behave so much better!), and
- Judy S mopping up countless tears when disaster almost struck.
Sometimes naming a quilt is the hardest part of making it. This quilt started out as “The BU Quilt” because it was going to be entered into the 2009 BERNINA Fashion Show at BERNINA University in San Francisco. That didn’t seem quite right for a forever name. Then a non-English speaking friend said, “You mean the ‘Be You’ Quilt?” I love that idea — encourage you to “be you” when you choose your color to make this quilt. But it still wasn’t quite right for a forever name. Given that a lot of my ideas are inspired by my two beautiful daughters, Heather and Jasmine, and the motifs resemble the beautiful feather designs often found in the quilting world, merging the two seemed to be the ideal solution. Thus, Heather Feather was born.
The Heather Feather quilt has a passport from all its international travel. As well as being juried into the 2010 IQA Annual Show in Houston, TX, Heather Feather has been displayed in Steckborn, Switzerland at the BERNINA International headquarters; Sainte Marie aux Mines, France at the 2012 European Patchwork Meeting; and various locations in China during a 3-month tour, which resulted in an award for excellence at a Chinese quilt show.
- 2 motifs that fit into an 8.5” square
- 2 motifs that fit into a 5.5” square
- The 8.5” motifs have been split so they can be stitched in a smaller hoop (BERNINA Large Oval hoop or equivalent)
- Multi-format collection includes: ART, ART60, DST, EXP, HUS, JEF, PCS, PES, VP3, XXX.
- Hoop size: BERNINA Large Oval hoop or equivalent
- Sizing: The quilt is 80” x 80”. Two motifs are 8.5” x 8.5”; two motifs are 5.5” x 5.5”.
- AccuQuilt GO! Heather Feather #1 (55087)
- AccuQuilt GO! Heather Feather #2 (55088)