Make Your Christmas Sparkle with this Holiday Quilt
As a newly single mom, I was living in a 1-bedroom apartment with my 2 gorgeous girls. With Christmas rapidly approaching, we didn’t have floor space for a Christmas tree, but we had plenty of bare wall space. So, what would be the logical solution for a quilt designer? You guessed it — design a Christmas tree quilt!
Featuring simple and basic machine appliqué, it only took about a week to complete before it was hanging on the wall. With beads hanging on the tree and buttons along the bottom edge, we could actually hang ornaments on it. Very cool indeed. My girls loved it.
With the rush of Christmas over, I looked at the quilt and thought how cool it would be to make a Christmas tree quilt featuring embroidered appliqué. Thus was born the Sparkle Collection.
The 54” x 72” Sparkle Tree Quilt features a 42”-tall tree with embroidered “leaves.” Each colored “leaf” is an upside down pocket, creating beautiful dimension to the quilt and allowing for the addition of a hook behind each leaf — perfect for hanging a small ornament or bead. The quilt is created in vibrant colors of dupioni silk, which exquisitely highlight the delicate embroidered snowflakes.
The Sparkle Tree Skirt and Table Runner complete the collection. With a 76” diameter at full size, the tree skirt is comprised of rings, making it easy to create a size that’s perfect for your tree. The smallest ring finishes at 44” diameter. The table runner is 72” x 24” and makes a perfect backdrop for your holiday meals.
The tree skirt and table runner feature 6 small trees. In addition, there are 8 different snowflake designs, 4 small to fit in a 3” square and 4 large to fit in a 6” square. You can really make your quilt sparkle with the addition of metallic threads.
The Sparkle collection was featured in episode 904 of The Quilt Show with Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson, first airing in August 2011. Ricky showed off his ”sparkling” sense of humor when he appeared on set wearing the Sparkle Tree Skirt as a cape ! After a cape (or should I say tree skirt) swinging twirl, it was memorable, to say the least.
- The Christmas tree quilt is 3 dimensional; each leaf is an upside down pocket, with the bottom edge left open. This allows you to attach a hook so you can hang tiny ornaments on the tree.
- Table runner – You can make it as long as you want.
- Christmas tree skirt that can be made in 5 different sizes.
- Silk kits are available for the Sparkle Tree Quilt, the Sparkle Table Runner and the Sparkle Tree Skirt.
- A coordinating AURIfil Cotton Mako thread collection is also available.
- A set of AccuQuilt GO! dies is available
- GO! Sparkle Snowflakes (55093)
- GO! Sparkle Jumbo Tree (55094)
- GO! Sparkle Tree (55095)
- GO! Sparkle Slim Tree (55096)
- GO! Sparkle Diamonds (55089)
This is really a fun, festive collection that will bring a warm, welcoming holiday cheer to any home.
- Multi-format collection includes: ART, ART60, DST, EXP, HUS, JEF, PCS, PES, VP3, XXX.
- Christmas tree quilt: 54” x 72”
- Christmas tree skirt: 76” diameter
- Christmas tree table runner: 72” x 24”
*** Note: Pattern for the Sparkle Tree Skirt and Sparkle Table Runner are included with the Digital Download version only ***