Spirals of Life
Inspiring Spirals for Savoring Joy
The Spirals of Life quilt was originally created for the Inspired by Libby exhibition, a collection of quilts made by award-winning quilters and teachers that were auctioned off to raise money for the Libby Lehman Medical Fund. Our hope was to give back to Libby as she has given to so many quilters throughout the world.
Libby Lehman is well known in the quilting world for her joyful approach to life, her Threadplay technique and her many award-winning quilts. She has spent a considerable amount of time teaching, judging and lecturing in the U.S., as well as internationally.
In April 2013, Libby suffered an aneurism and stroke. This changed her life dramatically. Her friends in the quilting world joined together to support Libby and her family throughout this challenging experience.
Inspired by Libby's quilt, “Rococo Riffs,” Spirals of Life represents the move from the light to the dark and back again, a reflection of Libby's path to healing. The spirals are white because the light is always calling to us, swirling through time and space, with bursts of color to remind us of the joy that is the light at the end of the tunnel. Spirals of Life is about choosing to live, savoring every moment.
Spirals of Life includes:
- Instructions to make the quilt shown, in 2 different colorways.
- SVG files to cut the applique shapes using a Silhouette Cameo or other electronic cutting machine.
- SVG files to cut the crystal templates using a Silhouette Cameo or other electronic cutting machine.
- Appliqué templates to print and trace (if you don't own a Silhouette Cameo cutter).
- EXP files to use with the BERNINA Cutwork Tool to cut the applique shapes.
- EXP files to use with the BERNINA CrystalWorks Tool to cut the crystal templates.
- Multi-formatted embroidery designs to create the blocks quilted in the hoop, with and without embroidered applique.
- Multi-format collection includes: ART, ART60, DST, EXP, HUS, JEF, PCS, PES, VP3, XXX.
- Hoop Size: Designs measure 8" x 8". BERNINA Maxi or Jumbo hoop (or equivalent) required.
- Quilt Size: 30" x 30"
- Fabric Requirements:
- Dark (Dark Pink / Green) - 3/4 yard* - includes binding
- Light (Light Pink / Blue) - 1/2 yard
- Spirals (White) - 1/2 yard (Back with fusible webbing before cutting)
- Muslin - 1 yard Use for embroidered applique or machine applique. Not necessary if quilting in the hoop
- Backing fabric - 1 yard
- *Add 1/4 yard if using fabric sashing
- Interlace from Fronds Design Studio was used for the original quilt.
- Dark Pink = Camelia
- Light Pink = Blush
- Green = New Shoots
- Blue = Shore
- White = Cotton
- Thread: AURIfil Cotton Mako 50 weight for piecing and embroidered appliqué.
- 28 weight (optional) for quilting in the hoop.
- Pink colorway: 1147, 1154, 2479, 2535, 5005
- Blue colorway: 1147, 1148, 4093, 5005